Development of biological and physicochemical processes for water and wastewater with focus on treatment of industrial streams containing energetic compounds and nutrients. Bimetal catalysis for the reductive degradation and mineralization of organic pollutants. Surface modification of nanofibrils and biomaterials for the adsorption of ionic substances including recovery and reuse of ionic nutrients.
Sustainable practices at industrial facilities nutrient recovery and reuse. Waste valorization for generation of renewable resources. Reductive and oxidative conversion of energetic compounds such as RDX, Nitroglycerine, Nitrocellulose, NQ, DNAN, hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane (CL-20) in industrial production wastewater streams to carbon dioxide, nitrate and ammonia for the production of algal biomass.
Algae biomass growth and harvesting for biofuel production. Utilization of industrial wastewater as growth media for biomass generation. Investigation of cost effective methods of algae harvesting and concertation and their subsequent use for production of renewable energy via algal oil extraction and upgrade to biodiesel or biogas generation by anaerobic digestion.
Recovery of nutrients from inedible plant material (Life Support Systems for Space Travel, NASA): Determination of the biodegradation rates and waste treatment requirements of the inedible part of the biomass (stem and leaves). Waste treatment is part of a life support system where materials are continuously recycled and re-used. Total recycle of materials is extremely important for extended space travel and planet missions (e.g. a mission to Mars) where supplies cannot be routinely transported from the earth
Investigation of RDX and PAX-21 Propellant Treatment Methods: Cost analysis of treatment processes for the decontamination of RDX contaminated groundwater, and investigation of the biodegradability of the post hydrolysis products of groundwater treated with hydroxide solutions. Alkaline hydrolysis of PAX-21 propellant in batch reactors. Development of Large Volume, Ambient Pressure, Non Thermal Diffuse Plasma Reactor for Destruction of Airborn Environmental Contaminants in Advanced Life Support Systems: An investigation on the effectiveness and efficiency of a novel, non-thermal diffuse plasma technology for the destruction of environmental air contaminants in space applications. The plasma characteristics, plasma chemistry, contaminant destruction efficiency and reaction kinetics for various compounds expected to be present in advance life support environments are studied
Investigation of a Novel Capillary Non-Thermal, Ambient Pressure Plasma for Cleaning of Aluminum Surfaces: Development of a non-thermal diffuse plasma technology for the cleaning and decontamination of aluminum surfaces. Experiments are being conducted to determine the plasma characteristics necessary for the destruction of organic substances deposited on aluminum surface, to identify the proper plasma gases for effective removal, to determine the role of the surface on destruction efficiency, and to evaluate surface changes due to plasma irradiation
Use of Capillary Non-Thermal, Ambient Pressure Plasma in Decontamination of Water Recovered from Vehicle Exhaust: Investigate the potential role of diffused non-thermal plasma in the treatment of water condensate recovered from the exhaust of the diesel engines of Hum-Vee and other vehicles. One treatment scenario involves pre-treatment of the combustion mixture in order to increase the efficiency of combustion and thus reduce the concentration of undesirable organic products in the diesel exhaust gases. The second treatment scheme focuses on plasma treatment of the exhaust gases prior to condensation. Finally, a treatment system is investigated which treats the aqueous solution obtained from the condenser by continuously passing the vapors produced from the liquid phase through a plasma reactor in a closed loop configuration
- Institute Promotion and Tenure Committee Member
- Research Committee 2018-present Member
- School of Engineering and Science Honors & Awards Committee Member
- International Conference on Protection and Restoration of the Environment Chair
Consultant in the areas of industrial wastewater, groundwater and soil treatment for various private companies and organizations including: Exxon Corporation, Florham Park, New JerseyPlasmSol Corporation., Hoboken, New Jersey
Fluid Packaging, Lakewood, New Jersey
Hydroglobe Corporation, New Jersey Fablok Mills Inc., Murray Hill, New Jersey
Received the Founders Award, by the USA National Committee International Association on Water Quality for an outstanding paper in Water Research by a US author in 1994, for the paper: Correlations of Performance for Activated Sludge
Using Multiple Regression With Autocorrelation, Water Research, Vol 27 pp. 51-62, 1993. Stevens Teaching Award: September 2000.
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES) Member
- NAI – National Academy of Inventors Fellow
Research grants and contracts received (1992-2002)
Total Funding Awarded as Principal Investigator: $5,884,368
Total Funding Awarded as Co-Principal Investigator: $3,134,096
Total Funding Awarded as Co-Investigator: $2,423,779
"Method and apparatus for biological treatment of wastewater" with G. P. Korfiatis, (2000) "Method and apparatus for removing inorganic chemicals" with M. Dadachov. X. Meng and G. Korfiatis (2002).
- Koutsospyros, A. D.; Koutsospyros, D. A.; Strigul, N.; Braida, W.; Christodoulatos, C. (2019). Tungsten: Environmental pollution and health effects. Encyclopedia of Environmental Health (pp. 161-169).
- Yannopoulos, P. C.; Economou, P.; Zacharias, I.; Manariotis, I. D.; Korfiatis, G.; Christodoulatos, C.; Koutsospyros, A. (2020). Protection and Restoration of the Environment XV. University of Patras, Greece.
- Ye, Z.; Abraham, J.; Christodoulatos, C.; Prigiobbe, V. (2019). Combining carbon mineralization with microalgae culture for biofuel production. BSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY (vol. 257). American Chemical Society.
- Abimbola, T.; Lawal, A.; Christodoulatos, C. (2021). Performance and Optimization Studies of Oil Extraction from Nannochloropsis spp. and Scenedesmus obliquus. Journal of Cleaner Production (vol. 311, pp. 127295-127308). Elsevier.
- RoyChowdhury, A.; Mukherjee, P.; Panja, S.; Datta, R.; Christodoulatos, C.; Sarkar, D. (2020). Evidence for Phytoremediation and Phytoexcretion of NTO from Industrial Wastewater by Vetiver Grass. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland) (1 ed., vol. 26).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Chou, T.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Mechanistic Study of Pb(II) Removal by TiO2 and Effect of PO4. Langmuir (Volume 36.Issue 46 ed., pp. 13918-13927).
- Shi, Q.; Zhang, S.; Ge, J.; Wei, J.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Lead immobilization by phosphate in the presence of iron oxides: Adsorption versus precipitation. Water research (vol. 179, pp. 115853).
- Shi, Q.; Zhang, S.; Korfiatis, G.; Christodoulatos, C.; Meng, X. (2020). Identifying the existence and molecular structure of the dissolved HCO3-Ca-As(V) complex in water. Science of the Total Environment (vol. 724).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Chou, T. M.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Mechanistic study of Pb(II) removal by TiO2 and effect of PO4. Langmuir (46 ed., vol. 36, pp. 13918-13927).
- Lin, Y.; Abraham, J.; RoyChowdhury, A.; Su, T. L.; Braida, W.; Christodoulatos, C. (2020). Ecotoxicological response of Scenedesmus obliquus to pure energetic compounds and metal ions found in wastewater streams from munitions manufacturing. Algal Research (vol. 48).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Korfiatis, G.; Christodoulatos, C.; Wang, H.; Meng, X. (2020). Chromate removal by electrospun PVA/PEI nanofibers: Adsorption, reduction, and effects of co-existing ions. Chemical Engineering Journal (vol. 387).
- Shi, Q.; Sterbinsky, G. E.; Zhang, S.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Formation of Fe(iii)-As(v) complexes: effect on the solubility of ferric hydroxide precipitates and molecular structural identification. Environmental Science: Nano (5 ed., vol. 7, pp. 1388-1398).
- Xu, N.; Li, Z.; Huangfu, X.; Cheng, X.; Christodoulatos, C.; Qian, J.; Chen, M.; Chen, J.; Su, C.; Wang, D. (2020). Facilitated transport of nTiO2-kaolin aggregates by bacteria and phosphate in water-saturated quartz sand. Science of the Total Environment (vol. 713).
- Lin, Y.; Abraham, J.; RoyChowdhury, A.; Su, T.; Braida, W.; Christodoulatos, C. (2020). Ecotoxicological response of Scenedesmus obliquus to pure energetic compounds and metal ions found in wastewater streams from munitions manufacturing. Algal Research (vol. 48, pp. 101927). Elsevier BV.
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Christodoulatos, C.; Meng, X. (2019). Lead and cadmium adsorption by electrospun PVA/PAA nanofibers: Batch, spectroscopic, and modeling study. Chemosphere (vol. 233, pp. 405-413).
- Ye, Z.; Abraham, J.; Christodoulatos, C.; Prigiobbe, V. (2019). Mineral Carbonation for Carbon Utilization in Microalgae Culture. Energy & Fuels (9 ed., vol. 33, pp. 8843-8851). American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Lawal, A.; RoyChowdhury, A.; Abraham, J.; Abimbola, T.; Lin, Y.; Christodoulatos, C.; Koutsosoyros, A.; Braida, W. (2019). Assessing Oil Content of Microalgae Grown in Industrial Energetic-Laden Wastewater. Environmental Processes (https:/doi.org/10.1007/s40710-019-00396-5 ed.). Springer.
- Najib, N.; Christodoulatos, C. (2019). Removal of arsenic using functionalized cellulose nanofibrils from aqueous solutions. Journal of Hazardous Materials (pp. 256-266).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2019). Adsorptive filtration of lead by electrospun PVA/PAA nanofiber membranes in a fixed-bed column. Chemical Engineering Journal (vol. 370, pp. 1262-1273).
- Shi, Q.; Terracciano, A.; Zhao, Y.; Wei, C.; Christodoulatos, C.; Meng, X. (2019). Evaluation of metal oxides and activated carbon for lead removal: Kinetics, isotherms, column tests, and the role of co-existing ions. Science of the Total Environment (vol. 648, pp. 176-183).
- Terracciano, A.; Christodoulatos, C.; Koutsospyros, A.; Zheng, Z.; Su, T.; Smolinski, B.; Arienti, P.; Meng, X. (2018). Degradation of 3-nitro-1, 2, 4-trizole-5-one (NTO) in wastewater with UV/H2O2 oxidation. Chemical Engineering Journal (vol. 354, pp. 481--491). Elsevier.
- Terracciano, A.; Christodoulatos, C.; Koutsospyros, A.; Zheng, Z.; Su, T. L.; Smolinski, B.; Arienti, P.; Meng, X. (2018). Degradation of 3-nitro-1,2,4-trizole-5-one (NTO) in wastewater with UV/H2O2 oxidation. Chemical Engineering Journal (pp. 481-491).
- Chen, M.; Xu, N.; Christodoulatos, C.; Wang, D. (2018). Synergistic effects of phosphorus and humic acid on the transport of anatase titanium dioxide nanoparticles in water-saturated porous media. Environmental Pollution (pp. 1368-1375).
- Abraham, J.; Lin, Y.; RoyChowdhury, A.; Christodoulatos, C.; Conway, M.; Smolinski, B.; Braida, W. (2018). Algae toxicological assessment and valorization of energetic-laden wastewater streams using Scenedesmus obliquus. Journal of Cleaner Production (vol. 202, pp. 838-845).
- Moon, D. H.; Wazne, M.; Koutsospyros, A.; Christodoulatos, C.; Gevgilili, H.; Malik, M.; Kalyon, D. M. (2009). Evaluation of the treatment of chromite ore processing residue by ferrous sulfate and asphalt. Journal of Hazardous Materials (1 ed., vol. 166, pp. 27-32).
- RoyChowdhury, A.; Mukherjee, P.; Panja, S.; Datta, R.; Christodoulatos, C.; Sarkar, D.. Evidence for Phytoremediation and Phytoexcretion of NTO from Industrial Wastewater by Vetiver Grass. Molecules (1 ed., vol. 26, pp. 74). MDPI AG.