Research in big data engineering, science, and governance. Research and consulting in the structure and strategy of top tier research organizations.
David Belanger retired as AT&T Labs Chief Scientist. For 15 years, he was V. P. of Information, Software, & Systems Research at AT&T Labs, leading research in topics ranging from computer science and data management, to analysis and visualization of data, and applications among areas such as: fraud, service/network operations, marketing, and mobility. This role included creation of the AT&T Research InfoLab for the exploration of creating more value from data. His career includes 17 years at Bell Labs, much of it as head of research in software systems and engineering; faculty of Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science at University of South Alabama; a variety of consulting engagements; and founding of a small data services company. He is currently co-chair of the IEEE Big Data Community.
University of South Alabama, Assistant/Associate Professor, 1971-1979
US Army Corps of Engineers, Consultant, 1973-1979
Gulf Coast Data Systems, Founder/VP, 1977-1979
Bell Telephone Labs, MTS/Supervisor, 1979-1985
AT&T Bell Labs, Department Head, 1985-1996
AT&T Labs, VP/Chief Scientist, 1996-2012
Stevens Institute of Technology, Senior Research Fellow, 2012 -
- BIA Program Committee Member
- IEEE Committee Member
- IEEE Leader
- IEEE Transactions on Big Data Chair
- IEEE along with NIST Member of Steering Committee
- IEEE Big Data Community Co-Chair
- European Commision study on "Big Data and B2B platforms: the next opportunity for Europe" – Regulatory barriers and market deficiencies Expert Contributor
- NJBDA V.P. Entrepreneurship
- Baidu Senior Consultant and Chair of Advisory Board
- Canada First Research and Education Fund Evaluator
- Several Program Committee Member
- IEEE Globecom Industrial Relations Chair
Consultant to various, international corporations, and expert advisor on international projects.
A lead initiator, and chair of IEEE DataPort Project (dataport.ieee.org).
IEEE Communications Society Industrial Innovator Award – 2009
AT&T Fellow for “lifetime contributions in software, software tools, and information mining” - 2006
AT&T Science and Technology Medal for contributions in very large scale information mining technology - 1998
Senior member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
TechAmerica (nee ITAA) Board of Directors – 2004 –
TechAmerica Chair of Commercial Policy Board 2011-
Distinguished Engineer Award, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
Board of Advisors at several Universities
Co-Chair REAL Commission -http://www.techamericafoundation.org/real-commission-appointments
NSF National Visitors Committee - BATEC - 2012 -
Chair IEEE Big Data Initiative 2015 -
- ACM – ACM Senior member
- IEEE – IEEE Senior member
35 Patents Awarded
- Accepted Journal Article – Liu, C.; Rouse, W.; Belanger, D. (2019). “Understanding Risks and Opportunities of Autonomous Vehicle Technology Adoption Through Systems Dynamic Scenario Modeling – The American Insurance Industry”. Piscataway, NJ: IEEE.
20 ROYCE BROOK RD.