- PhD (1992) University of Texas at Austin (Computer Science)
- BA (1982) University of Texas at Austin (Computer Science)
Formal methods and security, including: fine-grained confidentiality/integrity policies; automated analysis/transformation of programs combined with access control to enforce such policies; use of program verification technology for security; methodology for formal specification of system components and refactoring of implementations.
More complete information can be found via my home page and search sites such as Google Scholar and DBLP.
Programmer-designer, IBM, 1982-85
Consultant-programmer, Renaissance Systems, 1985-86
Associate Scientist, International Software Systems, 1986-91
Assistant Professor, Southwestern University, 1991-97
Visiting Researcher, Microsoft Research Cambridge, Fall 2010
Research Professor, IMDEA Software Institute, Madrid, Spring 2011
Visiting Fellow, Princeton University, 2017-18
- 150th Anniversary Academic Symposium Committee Member
- Institute Promotion and Tenure Committee Member
- Bloom Scholarship Selection Committee Chair
- CS Curriculum Committee Member
- Executive committee for promotion, tenure, reappointment Chair
- Department self study committee Chair
- Miscellaneous activities Member
- SES Honors and Awards Committee Member
- Society of Computer Science (SOCS) Member
- School of Business P&T committee Member
- ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems Associate Editor
- Formal Aspects of Computing Member of editorial board
- Journal of Object Technology Member of editorial board
- IEEE Symposium on Computer Security Foundations Program co-chair
- Technical University of Darmstadt Evaluator of faculty candidates
- Workshop on Logics and Syntax of Low-level Languages Member of technical program committee
- IEEE Symposium on Computer Security Foundations Member of technical program committee
- INRIA (French research agency) Chair, Panel of Experts
- NSF Proposal reviewer
- ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL) Member of technical program committee
- ACM workshop on Principles of Secure Compilation Member of technical program committee
- Brazilian Symposium on Formal Methods Member of technical program committee
Professor of Computer Science since 2008
Associate Professor of Computer Science 2002-08
Assistant Professor of Computer Science 1997-2002
Best Software Sciences paper, ETAPS 2005.
Davis Memorial Award for Research Excellence, 2006.
Best student paper (coauthor), OOPSLA 2007.
Distinguished paper, ECOOP 2008.
Invited keynote speaker, ETAPS 2010.
Invited keynote speaker, IBM Programming Languages Day 2015.
Invited keynote speaker, Software Factory 4.0 annual meeting 2020.
- AAAS – American Association for the Advancement of Science Member
- ACM – Association for Computing Machinery Member
- IEEE Member
NSF award INT-9813854: Towards a Practical Calculus of Object-Oriented Programming.
NSF award CCR-0208984: Integrating Confinement and Access Control for Encapsulation.
NSF award CCF-0429894: Formal Methods for Behavioral Subclassing and Callbacks.
NSF award CNS-0627338: Access Control and Downgrading in Information Flow Assurance.
NSF award CNS-0708330: A JML Community Infrastructure --Revitalizing Tools and Documentation to Aid Formal Methods Research.
NSF award DUE-083084: Scholarship for Service Cybersecurity Scholars Program (co-PI).
NSF award CCF-0915611: Specification Language Foundations for Modular Reasoning Methodologies.
DHS Science and Technology (subcontract): Tunable Information Flow.
NSF award CNS-1228930: Flexible and Practical Information Flow Assurance for Mobile Apps.
NSF award CCF-1649884: Hyperproperty Abstraction for Information Flow Control
NSF award CNS 1718713: Relational Verification for Information Assurance and Privacy.
Patent US 10,904,291 B1, Jan. 26, 2021: Low-overhead software transformation to enforce information security policies
- Appel, A. W.; Naumann, D. A.; Ding, C.; Maas, M. (2020). Verified sequential Malloc/Free. International Symposium on Memory Management (ISMM) (pp. 48--59). ACM.
- Nikouei, M.; Banerjee, A.; Naumann, D. A. (2019). Data Abstraction and Relational Program Logic. CoRR (vol. abs/1910.14560).