Alparslan Emrah Bayrak
- PhD (2015) University of Michigan (Mechanical Engineering)
- MS (2013) University of Michigan (Mechanical Engineering)
- BS (2011) Sabanci University (Mechatronics Engineering)
Dr. Bayrak’s research focuses on bridging computational methods and human cognition to develop human-computer collaboration architectures for the design and control of smart products and systems. He is particularly interested in developing artificial intelligence systems that can effectively collaborate with humans considering unique capabilities of humans and computational systems. His research uses methods from design, controls, game-theory and machine learning as well as human-subject experiments on virtual environments such as video games.
- Junior Faculty Board of Representatives Member
- SSE Undergraduate Academic Ambassador Member
- SSE Graduate Student Awards Chair
- SSE Doctoral Research Symposium Chair
- SSE Dean Research Incentive Award Member
- SSE Graduate Research Awards Member
- ASME Design Automation Committee (DAC) Conference Session Organizer
- 17th Annual Conference on Systems Engineering Research Workshop Organizer
- ASME Design Automation Committee (DAC) Review Coordinator
Assistant Professor, School of Systems and Enterprises (2019-Present) Stevens Institute of Technology
Research Scientist, Mechanical Engineering (2018-2019) Carnegie Mellon University
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mechanical Engineering (2015-2018) University of Michigan
Ford Best Paper Award by Design Automation Committee, 2015 ASME IDETC
- Design Society Member
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers Member
- Bayrak, A. (2021). Trust Considerations in the Coordination of Computational Design Teams. A New Perspective of Cultural DNA. KAIST Research Series (1 ed.). Springer Singapore.
- Bayrak, A.; McComb, C.; Cagan, J.; Kotovsky, K. (2019). A Differential Game Approach to Dynamic Competitive Decisions Toward Human-Computer Collaboration. Proceedings of the ASME 2019 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (DETC2019-97619 ed., pp. V007T06A017). Anaheim, CA: ASME.
- Grogan, P.; Bayrak, A. (2018). Operational and Strategic Decisions in Engineering Design Games. 2018 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. ASME.
- Bayrak, A.; McComb, C.; Cagan, J.; Kotovsky, K. (2021). A Strategic Decision-making Architecture Toward Hybrid Teams for Dynamic Competitive Problems. Decision Support Systems (vol. 144, pp. 113490). Elsevier.
- Bayrak, A.; Sha, Z. (2020). Integrating Sequence Learning and Game Theory to Predict Design Decisions under Competition. Journal of Mechanical Design (5 ed., vol. 143, pp. 051401). New York, NY: ASME.
- Bayrak, A.; Gorsich, D.; Epureanu, B. I. (2020). Future of Autonomous High-Mobility Military Systems. SAE International Journal of Connected and Automated Vehicles (3 ed., vol. 3, pp. 205-215). SAE.
- Egilmez, M. M.; Park, J. M.; Bayrak, A.; Epureanu, B. I.; Papalambros, P. Y. (2020). Adaptability of modular vehicle fleets to changing supply route characteristics. Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation: Applications, Methodology, Technology (4 ed., vol. 17, pp. 327-338). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Asan, O.; Bayrak, A.; Choudhury, A. (2020). Artificial Intelligence and Human Trust in Healthcare: Focus on Clinicians. Journal of Medical Internet Research (6 ed., vol. 22, pp. e15154). Toronto, ON: JMIR Publications.
SYS501 - Probability and Statistics for Systems Engineering
SYS625 - Fundamentals of Systems Engineering
EM/ISE357 - Elements of Operations Research
E355 - Engineering Economics