Research Scientist - Staff
- PhD (1979) University of Pittsburgh (Cognitive Science)
- MS (1977) University of Pittsburgh (Cognitive Science)
- BA (1973) University of Notre Dame (Psychology)
Software Engineering and System Development
Smart Homes and Smart City
Human Computer Interaction
Gregg Vesonder is an industry professor in software engineering and program head of the software engineering program. Prior to this role he served as executive director of the Cloud Platforms Research Department at AT&T Labs Research. His department at AT&T Labs Research focused both on cloud platforms and mobile and pervasive systems.
Vesonder’s career at AT&T spanned 35 years and a variety of roles. Over the years, Vesonder led organizations in a variety of areas including parallel cluster computing, speech recognition and text to speech, sensor networks, C++ compiler development, artificial intelligence software development environments, logic-based tools and systems, and expert systems. Vesonder’s work on artificial intelligence led to Bell Labs first commercial expert system, ACE. He received a Bell Labs Fellow in 1990 for “pioneering work in artificial intelligence applications and technology and outstanding contributions in enabling organizations throughout AT&T to realize benefits from this technology.” He was later awarded an AT&T Fellow for this work. Vesonder also was involved with AT&T’s a2bmusic venture initially as vice president for research and development and later as chief technology officer. a2bmusic involved digital music distribution using audio compression software (AAC) and Digital Rights Management software both developed internally.
His professional and research activities emphasize software, software engineering and the relationship of small systems (embedded, sensor based) to large-scale systems. Vesonder also is interested in applying these techniques, learning by doing and social media to graduate and post graduate education and STEM for grade school and beyond.
Dr. Vesonder has authored more than 50 research papers.
- SES Curriculum Review Committee Member
- Undergraduate Studies Committee Member
- Program Director Software Engineering Chair
- promotion and tenure committee Member
- Software engineering Chair
Bell Labs Fellow
Navigator Award for excellence in on-line teaching, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2008
- ACM – ACM Member
- IEEE – IEEE Member
- Psychonomics – Psychonomics Society Member
- AAAS – AAAS Member
⁃ Inventors: Charles Blewett, Enrico Bocchieri, Giuseppe Di Fabbrizio, Donnie Henderson, Thomas Killian, Thomas Kirk, David Kormann, Gregory T. Vesonder; System and Method of Organizing Images. Granted
⁃ Inventors: Robert Raymond Miller II, Gregory T. Vesonder; Collecting and Analyzing Data in a Distributed Sensor Network. Application Submitted
⁃ Inventors: Matti Hiltunen, Robin Berthier, Michel Cukier, David Kormann, Daniel Sheleheda, Gregory T. Vesonder; Methods, Systems and Products for Estimating Answers to Questions. Granted
⁃ Inventors: Tamparni Dasu, Gregg Vesonder, Jon R. Wright; Monitoring Complex Data Feeds Through Ensemble Testing. Granted
- Hutchison, N. o.; Miller, W.; Yan, H.; , S.; Vesonder, G.; Wade, J. (2018). Mission Engineering Competencies. American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference and Exhibition. Hoboken.
1 Castle Point on Hudson.
- Garcia-Mancilla, J.; Ramirez-Marquez, J.; Lipizzi, C.; Vesonder, G.; Gonzalez, V. M. (2019). Characterizing negative sentiments in at-risk populations via crowd computing: a computational social science approach. International Journal of Data Science and Analytics (3 ed., vol. 7, pp. 165-177).