- PhD (2013) Columbia University (Mechanical Engineering)
- MS (2009) Temple University (Mechanical Engineering)
- BS (2007) Temple University (Mechanical Engineering)
Development of image-guided devices for targeted drug delivery
Tissue-engineering lungs via minimally invasive cell replacement
Creation of microfluidic devices for disease diagnosis and drug screening
Assistant Professor (08/2018-present), Biomedical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
Associate Research Scientist (09/2017-08/2018), Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (09/2013-08/2017), Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University
- Faculty search committee Member
- PhD qualification exam committee Chair
- Faculty search committee Member
- BME Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Member
- PhD qualification committee Chair
- Tenure-Track Faculty Search Committee Member
- Lecturer Search Committee Member
- Department of Defense Scientific reviewer
- Lab on a chip journal Journal reviewer
- Advanced NanoBiomed Research Journal Reviewer
- Columbia University Consultant
- Strategic Pacing Systems, LLC Technical Consultant
- XYLYX BIO, INC. Consultant
- Dutch Research along Routes by Consortia (NWA-ORC) Grant reviewer
- NSF Grant reviewer
- EBioMedicine Journal reviewer
- Micromachines Journal reviewer
- 2019 Stem Cells, Cell Therapies, and Bioengineering in Lung Bioengineering and Diseases Conference at the University of Vermont Junior Planning Committee
- Collegiate Inventors Competition Competition judge
- Sensors Journal Reviewer
NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (2022)
Science and Innovation Center Abstract Award, Americal Thoracic Society (2019)
Travel Grant to GEM-ASEE Doctoral Engineering Research Showcase, ASEE (2018)
Idea Pitch Competition Finalist, KITEE (2017)
Translational Fellows Award, Columbia University School of Engineering (2016)
Pilot Research Grant, Raymond and Beverly Sackler Foundation (2013)
Outstanding Poster Paper Award Finalist, MEMS 2013 meeting (2013)
Student Travel Grant, MEMS 2012 (2012)
Conference Travel Grant, Robert and Mary Haythornthwaite Foundation (2008)
2017 Collegiate Inventors Competition finalist, USPTO (2007)
Best Senior Design Project, Temple University (2007)
President’s Scholar Award, Temple University (2007)
- Biomedical Engineering Society Member
- Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association Member
- American Thoracic Society Member
Research Grant, New Jersey Health Foundation (PI: Kim), Development of an imaging-guided drug delivery device for lung infection treatment.
Research Grant, New Jersey Health Foundation (PI: Libera, Co-PI: Kim), Development of a microarray biosensor for lung infection diagnosis.
Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, Jinho Kim, John O’Neill, and Matthew Bacchetta, “Method and Apparatus for Computer-Vision Guided Targeted Delivery of Small Liquid Volumes into Selected Lung Regions”, International Patent: WO2018/156460 A9 (2018).
Matthew Bacchetta, Brandon Guenthart, Jinho Kim, John O’Neill, and Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, “Cell-Seeded Porous Lung Hydrogel Sealant”, International Patent: WO2018/067938 A1 (2018).
Matthew Bacchetta, Brandon Guenthart, John O’Neill, Jinho Kim, and Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, “Thermography and Evaluation of Thermal Recovery to Access, Monitor, and Characterize Organ Health”, US Provisional Patent Application Submitted, (2017).
- Kim, J.; Kennedy, K.; Vunjak-Novakovic, G. (2019). Bioreactors in Regenerative Medicine (pp. 787-803). Academic Press.
- Kim, J. (2019). Diagnosis of Respiratory Infection by Microgel-Tethered Microlens Array. Philadelphia, PA: 2019 BMES Annual Meeting.
- Kim, J. (2019). Extracorporeal Bioengineering of the Lung Using a Cross-Circulation Bioreactor. Philadelphia, PA: 2019 BMES Annual Meeting.
- Kim, J. (2019). Quamtum Dots-Labeled Polymeric Scaffolds for In Vivo Tracking of Degradation and Tissue Formation. Phoenix, AZ: 2020 Orthopaedic Research Society meeting.
- Kim, J. (2019). Donor Lung Regeneration Through Selective Replacement of Damaged Airway Epithelium. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (pp. A2882). American Thoracic Society.
- Kim, J. (2019). Directed In Situ Assessment of Implanted Bioscaffolds Using a Micro-Optical Imaging Probe. Philadelphia, PA: 2019 BMES Annual Meeting.
- Kim, J. (2022). Imaging-Guided Bioreactor for Generating Bioengineered Airway Tissue. JoVE (vol. 182, pp. e63544).
- Kim, J. (2022). Imaging-Guided Bioreactor for De-Epithelialization and Long-Term Cultivation of Ex Vivo Rat Trachea. Lab on a Chip (22 ed., pp. 1018-1031).
- Kim, J. (2021). Homogeneous Distribution of Exogenous Cells onto De-Epithelialized Rat Trachea via Instillation of Cell-Loaded Hydrogel. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering (1 ed., vol. 8, pp. 82-88).
- Kim, J. (2021). Non-Destructive Vacuum-Assisted Measurement of Lung Elastic Modulus. Acta Biomaterialia (131 ed., pp. 370-380).
- Hozain, A.; O'Neill, J.; Pinezich, M.; Tipograf, Y.; Donocoff, R.; Cunningham, K.; Kim, J. (2020). Xenogeneic Cross-Circulation for Extracorporeal Recovery of Injured Human Lungs. Nature Medicine (7 ed., vol. 26, pp. 1102-1113). Nature.
- Kim, J. (2019). Regeneration of severely damaged lungs using an interventional cross-circulation platform. Nature Communications (1 ed., vol. 10, pp. 1985). Nature Publishing Gruop.
- Kim, J. (2019). Cell replacement in human lung bioengineering. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2 ed., vol. 38, pp. 215-224). Elsevier.