Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Engineering
1. Therapeutic Peptides: We are interested in a new peptide design and delivery technology aimed at developing new therapeutic peptides for a wide array of pharmaceutical applications.
2. Bacteria Responsive Materials for Medical Device Infections and Bio-Fouling. We are working on polymeric antibacterial coatings designed specifically for implants associated infections through inducing autolysis which kills bacteria.
3. Nano-Technology Enabled Cell Sensing and Drug Delivery. Nano-technology is used in cell sensing in combination with peptides and signaling messengers. In addition, novel nano-formulation technologies are also studied for improved drug therapeutic effectiveness and repurposing.
Professor and Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, 2003-present
Assistant Research Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2000-2002
Associate Professor and Lecturer, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 1993-1999
- Bioengineering Program director Chair
- Engineering School P&T committee Member
- P&T committee of CCB Chair
- Graduate Student recuritiing committee Member
- AAPS – American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Member
- ACS – American Chemical Society Member
- Institution of Engineering and Technology Fellow
- Chang, T. L.; Sun, P. K.; Zhou, X.; Besser, R.; Liang, J. (2020). Preparation and electrochemical performances of silver (alloy) nanoparticles decorated on reduced graphene oxide, using self-polymerization of dopamine in an acidic environment. Materials Today Chemistry (vol. 17).
- Zhou, X.; Hou, C.; Chang, T. L.; Zhang, Q.; Liang, J. (2020). Controlled released of drug from doubled-walled PVA hydrogel/PCL microspheres prepared by single needle electrospraying method.. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces (vol. 187, pp. 110645).
- Zhou, X.; Chang, T. L.; Chen, S.; Liu, T.; Wang, H.; Liang, J. F. (2019). Polydopamine-Decorated Orlistat-Loaded Hollow Capsules with an Enhanced Cytotoxicity against Cancer Cell Lines. Molecular Pharmaceutics (6 ed., vol. 16, pp. 2511-2521).
- Yang, F.; Chang, T. L.; Liu, T.; Wu, D.; Du, H.; Liang, J.; Tian, F. (2019). Label-free detection of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria using long-period fiber gratings with functional polyelectrolyte coatings. Biosensors and Bioelectronics (vol. 133, pp. 147-153).
- Chang, T. L.; Zhou, X.; Liang, J. (2019). Synthesis and characterization of Ag-Cu alloy nanoparticles for antimicrobial applications: A polydopamine chemistry application. Materials Science and Engineering C (vol. 98, pp. 675-684).
- Liu, T.; Yang, F.; Wang, X.; Liang, J. F. (2019). Adhesive Gold Nanoparticles for Easy and Controlled Surface Coating. Langmuir (7 ed., vol. 35, pp. 2728-2737).
- Chen, T. P.; Liang, J.; Su, T. (2018). Plasma-activated water: antibacterial activity and artifacts?. Environmental science and pollution research international (27 ed., vol. 25, pp. 26699-26706).
- Chen, T.; Su, T.; Liang, J. (2017). Plasma-activated solutions for bacteria and biofilm inactivation. Current Bioactive Compounds (1 ed., vol. 13, pp. 59--65). Bentham Science Publishers.
- Chen, T.; Liu, T.; Su, T.; Liang, J. (2017). Self-polymerization of dopamine in acidic environments without oxygen. Langmuir (23 ed., vol. 33, pp. 5863--5871). ACS Publications.
- Xi, Y.; Choi, C.; Yu, X.; Liang, J. (2020). Artificial Cornea with Double-Side Microtextured pHEMA Hydrogel.