Teaching Associate Professor & Program Lead for Undergraduate Engineering Program/Undergraduate Industrial and Systems Engineering Program
- Other degree (2020) Stevens institute of technology (Mis)
- PhD (2001) Stevens Institute of Technology (Applied Psychology and Technology Management)
- MS (1993) Stevens Institute of Technology (Technology Management)
- BE (1991) Stevens Institute of Technology (Mechanical Engineering)
Kathryn Abel is the Director of the Undergraduate Engineering Management (EM) and the Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) Programs at the School of Systems and Enterprises. She holds a Ph.D. in Technology Management and Applied Psychology. She is a Fellow in the American Society for Engineering Management. She has held several professional service positions including President (2006) and Program Chair (2005) of the Engineering Management Division of the American Society for Engineering Education and President (2007) and Vice President (2005) of Engineering Management Honor Society (Epsilon Mu Eta). Abel has been published several times including chapters in the books Eshbach's Handbook of Engineering Fundamentals and Engineering Economic Analysis and Newnan, et. al.; in journals such as the Engineering Management Journal and the Journal of Engineering Education; and several conference proceedings. She has taught courses in Total Quality Management, Engineering Economics, Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Entrepreneurial Analysis of Engineering Design, Statistics for Engineering Managers, Management of Engineering and Technology, and Senior Design. Her research areas include knowledge engineering, as well as knowledge and information management. She is a member of the Board of Advisors at West Point for the Department of Systems Engineering. She is also a member of several professional societies including ASEE, ASEM, ASME, and EMH.
- Freshmen Orientation Program Leads Meeting SES/SSE Member
- ECOES & Engineering Bootcamp Summer Pre-College Programs Instructor Member
- ABET EM Program Self Study author (in the year of record) Chair
- Director, Indistrial and Systems Engineering Program Chair
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee–School of Systems and Enterprises Chair
- Undergraduate Industrial & Systems Engineering Faculty Advisor, Chair Chair
- Industrial and Systems Engineering Program Academic Committee, Chair Chair
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee–School of Engineering Member
- Engineering Management UG Awards Committee, Chair Chair
- Director, Engineering Management Program Chair
- Engineering Management Representative to UG Admissions Chair
- SSE Departments ABET Committee, Chair Chair
- Admitted Student Weekend Member
- Undergraduate Engineering Management Faculty Advisor Chair
- EM Board of Advisors (Chair) Chair
- EM UG Academic Committee Chair
- Discover Engineering Day Instructor (Pre-College Event) Member
- Faculty Feedback Committee on IT Website Redesign Member
- Engineering Core Curricula Review Task Force Member
- Search Committee for Vice Provost of Academic Innovation and Faculty Affairs Member
- Stevens Indicator Member
- Stevens Hall of Achievement Committee Member
- Associate Director, Engineering Management Program Member
- Board of Advisors, United States Military Academy Member
- ASEE Engineering Economy Division Chair, Grant Committee
- Engineering Management Journal Judge, Eschenbach Award for best Engineering Management Journal Paper
- United States Military Academy Invited Judge, General Donald R. Keith Capstone Conference
- ASEE Engineering Management Division Director
- Engineering Management Journal Associate Editor
- ASEE Engineering Economy Division Member, Grant Committee
- ASEE MidAtlantic 2020 Conference Fall 2020 Conference Organizing Committee
2018 - Fellow, American Society of Engineering Management
2018 - Bernard Sarchet Lifetime Achievement Award from the Engineering
Management Division of ASEE
2012 - Patriot Award-Employer Support of Guard & Reserve–under auspices of the Secretary of Defense
2012 - Best Presentation Award from the Engineering Management Division of ASEE
2009 – Stevens Cooperative Education Academic Advisor of the Year Award
2007 - Best Paper Award - American Society for Engineering Education, Engineering Management Division
2006 - Merl Baker Award recipient- second highest award from the Engineering Management Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) and annually honors those who have given exemplary service.
- ASEM – American Society for Engineering Management Fellow
- EMH – Epsilon Mu Eta Member
- ASEE – American Society for Engineering Education Member
- ASEM – American Society for Engineering Management Member
- ASME – American Society for Mechanical Engineers Member
- Abel, K. (2018). “A New Industrial and Systems Engineering Program: Benchmarking Results to Determine What and Why”. American Society for Engineering Education.
- Abel, K. (2017). “Does Knowing a Study’s Outcome Further Impact it’s Conclusion: A Classroom Study”. American Society for Engineering Education.
- Abel, K. (2016). “Perhaps a Shift in Direction in Engineering Management Education: A Discussion and Work in Progress of Adding Data Modeling Topics to the Foundation of an EM Curriculum”. American Society for Engineering Education.
- Abel, K. (2019). "Trust Me You'll Use This". Engineering Economic Analysis (14th ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Abel, K. (2017). “Electric Vehicles”, Chapter 1 Vignette - Making Economic Decisions. Engineering Economic Analysis (13th ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Abel, K. (2019). “Delivered Food and Decision Making”, Chapter 1 Vignette - Making Economic Decisions. Engineering Economic Analysis (14th ed.). Oxford University Press.
ISE 350 Logistics and Supply Chain Management
E 355 Engineering Economics
EM 665 Integrated Supply Chain Management
EM 600 Engineering Economics and Cost Analysis
E/TG 421 - TG 403/404 - Senior Innovation
EM 270 Management of Engineering and Technology
EM 423/424 Senior Design
EM 365 Statistics for Engineering Managers
ME 560 Total Quality Control