- PhD (1976) University of California, Berkeley (Statistics)
- MA (1973) UC Berkeley (Statistics )
He is a Data Scientist, expert in Big Data Analytics, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence with extensive industry experience including with the Bell Laboratories as well as the Info Lab of the AT&T Shannon Labs – Research.
Publication: 2022 (January 1 to September 1)
11 Paper Publications in Journals with Impact Factors (IF):
IF 10.295 and IF 10.238
• 31 Journal and Conference Publications:
o 27 Journal Publications including: IEEE Internet of Things
Journal (Impact Factor 12.96); IEEE
Transactions on Big Data; IEEE Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering; IEEE Wireless
Communications, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering, etc.
o 4 Major International Conferences including: GLOBECOM,
1 Best Paper Award, IEEE GLOBECOM 2019
He is well recognized within the academia and industry and holds key leadership roles in IEEE Journal Publications, Conferences, IEEE - Industry Partnership, and IEEE Future Direction Initiatives. He is Co-Founder and Chair of Steering Committee of IEEE Internet of Things (IoT) Journal; Member of Steering Committee of IEEE Transaction on Big Data; Advisory Board of the IEEE Blockchain Newsletter; Guest Editor of several IEEE Journal publications; Guest Editor of ITU Journal Special Issue on Data for Good; Co-Founder of the IEEE Big Data Initiative; Vice Chair of the IEEE Technical Community on Big Data.
Mahmoud Daneshmand is Professor of Business Intelligence & Analytics at School of Business as well as Computer Science at School of Engineering and Science, Stevens Institute of Technology. He has more than 40 years of teaching, research & publications, consultation, and management experience in academia & industry including: Bell Laboratories, AT&T Shannon Labs – Research, University of California at Berkeley, University of Texas at Austin, Sharif University of Technology, University of Tehran, New York University, and Stevens Institute of Technology.
He has served as Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (DMTS) at Bell Labs as well as AT&T Shannon Labs -Research; Assistant Chief Scientist of AT&T Labs; Founder and Executive Director of the AT&T Labs university collaborations program. He is an Industry Professor at the School of Business and department of Computer Science, Co-Founder of the Business Intelligence & Analytics MS program at Stevens Institute of Technology. He is an expert in Big Data Analytics, Internet of Things (IoT)/Sensor & RFID Data Streams Analytics, Data Mining Algorithms, Machine Learning, Probability & Stochastic Processes, and Statistics. He is experienced in Risk Management, Quality and Reliability of IP-Based Services and Applications.
Mahmoud is well recognized within the academia and industry. He has published more than 300 Journal and conference papers; authored/co-authored three books; Holds two patents (2009 and 2010); Chair of New IEEE Journal of Internet of Things; Guest Editor of IEEE Communications Magazine (published in Feb 2011), Guest Editor of Journal of Networks and System Management (published September 2011); Guest Editor, IEEE Sensors Journal SI on Internet of Things (to be published September 2013); Keynote Speaker: ISITCE 2012 (South Korea), IEEE ISCC 2011 (Corfu), ICC 09 (Dresden), IEEE ISCC 2008 (Marrakesh), ICT 2008 (St. Petersburg), IMSEE 2000 (Tehran), and ICISTM 2008 (Dubai); Co-editor of three IEEE Proceedings on Computers and Communications with a total of more than 450 peer reviewed accepted technical papers (Seventh (2002), Eleventh (2006), and fifteenth (2010) ); innovated and led execution of more than 60 Bell Labs and AT&T Labs large-scale projects on computer and communications; served as analytics and statistics consultant in many research, business and operations projects; made extensive contributions to the Industry Standards and regulatory organizations including ITU, ANSI, and FCC (invented the well known standardized Networks Outage Index). He has chaired multiple international conferences including IEE 2003 (London), IEEE ISCC 2002 (Sicily), IEEE ISCC 2006 (Sardinia, Italy), WICON 2010 (Singapore), and IEEE ISCC 2010 (Riccione, Italy), and Cyber Security (China 2011). Organized and served as Keynote Chair and Panel Chair of many IEEE conference in including: ICC 2007 (Glasgow, Scotland), ICC 2009 (Dresden, Germany), GLOBECOM 2009 (Hawaii, US), NOMS 2010 (Osaka, Japan), GLOBECOM 2010 (Miami, US), GLOBECOM 2011 (Houston), NOMS 2012 (Hawaii), INFOCOM 2012 (New Orleans), and GLOBECOM 2012 (Anaheim) ; Held and chaired AT&T Labs annual Academia-Industry Joint Research Collaborations Symposiums (UC Symposiums 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010).
He served as an expert witness in several legal industrial courts and litigations and established scientific validity of several Bell Labs studies; designed and taught many graduate and undergraduate courses in areas of Data Mining, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Sampling Techniques, Probability and Stochastic Processes, Risk Management, and Inferential Statistical Techniques; advised many master and PhD dissertations; led more than 200 Data Mining case studies of graduate students working with high technology corporations such as AT&T, Lucent, Verizon, and Merck. He served as a member of Advisory Board of Center for Networked Systems at the University California San Diego; Advisory Board of SATM (Stevens Alliance for Technology Management); Editorial Board of the JNSM (Journal of Network and Systems Management).
As professor of the Howe School of Technology Management he has developed and taught new graduate courses on emerging areas of "Risk Management", "Data Mining", and Data Streams Analytics. He has contributed to proposal and establishment of two new graduate programs at Stevens: Financial Engineering, and Business Intelligence & Analytics. He is co-founded a new MS program on Business Intelligence & Analytics.
As professor of the Department of Computer Science he teaches “Probability and Stochastic Processes" and "Data Mining & Knowledge Discovery", and advises graduate students projects and Masters and PhD thesis.
Prior to his position of DMTS, he has served as Technology Leader AT&T Labs, Technology Consultant AT&T Labs, Principal Technical Staff Member of the AT&T Labs, and a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff of the Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies.
Assistant Chief Scientist of AT&T Laboratories; Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (DMTS) at Bell Labs as well as AT&T Shannon Labs-Research; Founding Executive Director of the AT&T Labs university collaborations program; Technology Leader, and Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Labs.
Co-Founder and professor of the Business Intelligence & Analytics MS program at Stevens Institute of Technology; Professor of Computer Science and Financial Engineering; adjunct professor at NYU; Associate professor of Department of Statistics at UC, Berkeley; Co-founder and Dean of the School of Informatics & Management, Founding Chair of Department of Statistics, National University of Iran; and assistant professor of Mathematics at University of Texas, Austin.
- Committee Member: NJBDA Entrepreneurship Committee (representing Stevens) Member
- Board Member: New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA) Member
- SoB P&T Committee Member
- BIA Bi-Weekly Faculty Meetings Committee Member
- MIS Bi-Weekly Faculty Meetings Committee Member
- Editorial Board: IEEE Blockchain Newsletter Editorial Board
- Editorial Board: Big Data Research, ELSEVIER Editorial Board: Big Data Research, ELSEVIER
- Chair of Steering Committee: IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT -J), 2014-Present Chair of Steering Committee: IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT -J)
- Executive Programs Chair, IEEE GLOBECOM 2019, December 2019, Hawaii, USA: Executive Programs Chair, IEEE GLOBECOM 2019, December 2019, Hawaii, USA:
- General Co-Chair, IEEE Technology Time Machine, October 2018 General Co-Chair, IEEE Technology Time Machine, October 2018
- General Chair, IEEE 2019 International Conference on Smart Internet of Things, August 2019, Tianjin, China General Chair, IEEE 2019 International Conference on Smart Internet of Things
- Executive Committee, IEEE Summit on Communications Futures, 18 January 2020 // Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Executive Committee, IEEE Summit on Communications Futures, 18 January 2020 // Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
- Chair of Steering Committee: IEEE Transaction on Big Data Chair of Steering Committee: IEEE Transaction on Big Data
- Guest Editor: Data for Good, Special Issues, ITU Journal: ICT Discoveries, 2018 (to be published December 2018): Guest Editor: Data for Good, Special Issues, ITU Journal: ICT Discoveries, 2018 (to be published December 2018):
- Guest Editor: IEEE IoT Journal Special Issue: Nature-Inspired Approaches for IoT and Big Data, Guest Editor: IEEE IoT Journal Special Issue: Nature-Inspired Approaches for IoT and Big Data,
Academic Coordinator of NCMS Program
Coordinator of Course Data Analytics & Machine Learning
Coordinator of the course IoT and Stream Data Analytics
Stevens Representative of NJ Big Data Alliance
Co-Founder and Chair of Steering Committee: IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT -J), 2014-2019 (indexed by Thomson Reuters's SCI database since last June 2016), 2019 Initial Impact Factor 11.705: http://iot-journal.weebly.com/steering-committee.html Editorial Board: IEEE Blockchain Newsletter, January 2018 – Present https://blockchain.ieee.org/newsletter
Editorial Board: Big Data Research, ELSEVIER: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/big-data-research/editorial-board/m-daneshmand/
Chair of Steering Committee: IEEE Transaction on Big Data, January 2017 – January 2018: https://www.computer.org/web/tbd/about
Steering Committee: IEEE Transaction on Big Data (January 2014 - 2017): https://www.computer.org/web/tbd/about Guest Editor: Next-generation IoT for FinTech: Trends and Challenges; IEEE IoT Journal Special Issue; 2020-2021
Guest Editor: Intelligent Green communications with Mobile Edge-cloud and Fog-cloud computing for IIoT applications; Journal of Cloud Computing; 2020-2021
Many More Recent Guest Editors and conferences keynote speaker (Please see my CV)
• The IoT week-Europe 2015
• GLOBECOM 2014
• IEEE M2M 2014
• IEEE Big Data Initiative Workshop 2014
• BLOBECOM 2013
• IEEE IoT 2013
• 4th IT Convergence Symposium 2012
• IEEE ISCC 2012, ICC 2009
• IEEE ISCC 2008
• ICT 2008
He is the recipient of several distinguished awards from Bell Labs, AT&T Labs, Standards Committee T1, and IEEE.
IEEE Distinguished Lecturer 2021-2022, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI & ML) IEEE Senior Member Grade Elevation Award: “For Making Significant Contributions to the Academia-Industry Collaborations”, October 2019 IEEE Computer Society Outstanding Service Award: “For the International Conference on Industrial Internet”, November 2019 Best Paper Award: “For the GLOBECOM 2019 Conference”, December 2019 IEEE Region 1 Technological Innovation & Academia Award: “For Significant Patents, Discovery of New Devices, Development of Applications and Contributions to Industry and Government”, August 2015 IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Recognition: “For Imparting Valuable Knowledge Through his Speech on the IoT Challenges”, April 2017 IEEE Standards Committee T1 Telecommunications OUSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: “For Exemplary Contributions and Commitment to Committee T1 and Toward Meeting Its Objectives”, February 1995 IEEE Standards Committee T1 Telecommunications OUSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: “For Development and External Dissemination of an Industry-Wide on Analyzing the FCC-Reportable Outage Data and its Documentation in a T1 Technical Report”, February 1996 AT&T and Bell Laboratories Awards:
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff Award: “For Sustained History of Outstanding Achievements on Security, and Quality & Reliability of Telecommunication Networks and Services”, August 1994 1997 AT&T Standards Recognition Award: “For Leadership and Contribution to National Outage Reporting and Network Reliability”, 1997 Bell Laboratories Recognition Award: “For Outstanding Contribution to Network Reliability”, April 1993 IEEE Recognition Awards:
IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lecturer (DL) 2021-2022 Executive Program Chair Recognition Award: GLOBECOM 2019 Distinguished Keynote Speech Recognition: Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications, October 2017 General Chair: IEEE Computer Society Recognition Award, ISCC 2006 Keynote Speaker: Certificates of Recognitions: IEEE ISCC 2011; IEEE International Conference on IoT, iThing 2013; IT CONNECT 2016 Keynote Chair Recognition Award: GLOBECOM 2014
- IEEE Sensor – IEEE Sensor Council Senior member
- IEEE ComSoc – IEEE Communication Society Senior member
- ASA – American Statistical Association Senior member
- NJBDA – New Jersey Big Data Alliance Member
- IEEE CS – IEEE Computer Society Senior member
PI of the American Bureau of Shipping (“ABS”) Grant
M. Daneshmand, C. Wang, K. Sohraby, R. Jana, L. Ji, “System and Method for providing Network Selection in Cognitive Radio Systems,” Invention Disclosure, April 2009 (Pending).
M. Daneshmand and C. Wang, “Radio Frequency Identification Readers and Methods for Adjusting a Query Command Slot-Counter: Parameter Q,” Application No. 12/323996 (Pending).
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). CACS: A Context-Aware and Anonymous Communication Framework for an Enterprise Network Using SDN," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IF=10.238), vol. 9, no. 14, pp. 11725-11736, 15 July15, 2022.
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). "SocialNet of Things: A Ubiquitous Relationship Network Inspired by Social Space," in IEEE Network (IF=10.294), vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 197-203, May/June 2022..
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). AI-Driven Data Monetization: The Other Face of Data in IoT-Based Smart and Connected Health," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IF=10.238), vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 5581-5599, April15, 2022.
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). Guest Editorial Special Issue on AI-Driven IoT Data Monetization: A Transition From Value Islands to Value Ecosystems," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IF=10.238), vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 5578-5580, April15, 2022.
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). Fuzzy Deep Neural Learning Based on Goodman and Kruskal's Gamma for Search Engine Optimization," in IEEE Transactions on Big Data (IF=4.271), vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 268-277, Feb. 1, 2022.
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). A Survey on the Bottleneck Between Applications Exploding and User Requirements in IoT," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 261-273, Jan.1, 2022. doi: 10.1109/JIOT.2021.3097634 (IF=10.238).
- Daneshmand, M. (2022). Measuring Similarity Between Any Pair of Passengers Using Smart Card Usage Data," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IF=10.238), vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1458-1468, 15 Jan.15, 2022.
- Daneshmand, M. (2021).  IoT-Enabled Social Relationships Meet Artificial Social Intelligence IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 8, no. 24, pp. 17817-17828, Dec. 2021.
- Daneshmand, M. (2021).  Harnessing the Power of Smart and Connected Health to Tackle COVID-19: IoT, AI, Robotics, and Blockchain for a Better World IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 8, no. 16, pp. 12826-12846, Aug, 2021.
- Daneshmand, M. (2021).  Ensemble Classification and IoT Based Pattern Recognition for Crop Disease Monitoring System IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 8, no. 16, pp. 12847-12854, Aug. 2021.
1. Data Analytics and Machine Learning
2. IoT and Stream Data Analytics
3. Probability and Stochastic Process
4. Data Mining I
5. Data Mining II: Advanced Algorithms
6. Knowledge Engineering