Teaching Associate Professor and Program Lead for the Systems Engineering Program
- PhD (2004) The George Washington University (Engineering Management)
- MS (1999) University of Tehran (Industrial Engineering)
- BS (1997) Sharif University of Technology (Industrial Engineering)
Areas of Research
Systems Governance and Policy Design: developing participatory governance structures for complex human centric systems through integration of data, sensing, and crowd sourcing in order to designing effective policies and influencing collective patterns of behavior.
Computational Governance Frameworks: designing structured data collection, analytics and dashboards, which enable policymakers to govern human centric systems based on real-time data and through multi-stakeholder approaches.
Network Behavioral Patterns: creating frameworks, models, mechanisms, and methods for understanding and influencing behavioral patterns in multi-stakeholder environments, such as pubic online social networks, societal networks such as urban systems as well as societies at large.
Resilience Design: imbedding a portfolio of options in designing phase of a system to secure it against systemic vulnerabilities when facing disruptiveness of any kind such as environmental factors, market fluctuations, emergence of new technologies, as well as man-made disasters.
Domains of Research
Urban Systems / Smart Cities: creating governance frameworks to be applied in cities equipped by sensors and connected to a governing system through Internet of Things. The focus of research is on applications of governance studies in changing collective behavior in data-driven cities and designing resilience into urban communities.
Complex Networks: collecting data, developing information and knowledge through analytics and creating dashboards to understand behaviors of complex networks particularly online social networks. The focus of the research is on influencing patterns of collective behavior.
Infrastructure Systems: designing resilience in infrastructure and large-scale systems such as air, maritime, train and traffic transportation systems, healthcare systems, financial systems, energy system, safety and security systems, waterways, and sustainability systems.
Mo Mansouri is a Professor and Director for Graduate Studies as well as Director for Systems Engineering Programs and Socio-technical Systems Program at the School of Systems and Enterprises at Stevens Institute of Technology. He is also serving as a Visiting Professor of the Department of Science and Industry Systems at the University of North-Eastern Norway. His research focuses on developing computational governance frameworks, applied to creating incentive structures and designing policies for complex networks and infrastructure systems. Dr. Mansouri joined Stevens in July 2008. Prior to joining Stevens, he served several international development organizations and non-profits such as The World Bank and The United Nations as a research fellow and consultant. He is published in many scientific journals and has also co-authored several book chapters on topics related to systems policy and governance. He received his doctoral degree from The George Washington University in Engineering Management and his master’s and bachelor’s degrees in Industrial Engineering from University of Tehran and Sharif University of Technology.
- Director of Graduate Studies Chair
- Director of Systems Programs Chair
- GSAIB Member
- ICC Member
- Doctoral Admission's Committee Member
- GCC and SSE GCC Member
- Engineering Management Advisory Board Member
- IEEE Syestem of Systems Engineering Conference Co-chair
- IEEE Systems Journal, IEEE Systems Conference, IEEE System of Systems Engineering Conference, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, Conference of Systems Engineering Research, CESUN, DESGIN, ICED, INCOSE Reviewer
- INFORMS Member
- IEEE Member
- International Conference on Systems Engineering – INCOSE Member
Mo Mansouri, (PI) WRT-1049.2 Subtask, Assessment of the Process for Developing Capability Requirements for DoD Acquisition Programs, DoD, 2021, $930 K.
Mo Mansouri, (PI), Virtual Antarctica: Data Visualization and Dashboard Development for Smart City McMurdo, Lockheed Martin, 2013 & 2014, $550 K.
Mo Mansouri, (Co-PI), Proposing an approach for modeling and analyzing the governance of the NextGen Program at the FAA, 2010, $960 K.
Mo Mansouri, (PI), A framework for social and political development through empowering social institutions and foci, NED, 2006 & 2007, $300 K.
- Mansouri, M.; Khansari, N. (2019). A Conceptual Model for Intelligent Urban Governance: Influencing Energy Behaviour in Cognitive Cities. Designing Cognitive Cities. Mo Mansouri. NJ.
Castle Point On Hudson.
- Mansouri, M. (2018). Collective Behaviors: Systemic View of Distinct Forces in a New Framework. Disciplinary Convergence in Systems Engineering Research.
- Charyyev, B.; Mansouri, M.; Gunes, M. H. (2021). Modeling the Adoption of Internet of Things in Healthcare: A Systems Approach. IEEE International Symposium on Systems Engineering.
- Choudhury, A.; Asan, O.; Mansouri, M. (2020). Role of Artificial Intelligence, Clinicians & Policymakers in Clinical Decision Making: A Systems Viewpoint (pp. 1-8). IEEE International Symposium on Systems Engineering .
- Kjorstad, M.; Mansouri, M.; Muller, G.; Svein, K. (2019). Systems Thinking for Early Validation of User Needs in the Front End of Innovation; a Case Study in an Offshore SoS. IEEE SoSE Journal. NJ.
- Engen, S.; Mansouri, M.; Muller, G. (2019). Application of system thinking to frame the problem in a subsea development projects with high-level business requirements. IEEE System of Systems Engineering. NJ.
- DiRose, S.; Mansouri, M. (2018). Comparison and Analysis of Governance Mechanisms Employed by Blockchain-Based Distributed Autonomous Organizations. IEEE SoSE Journal.
- Ehsanfar, A.; Mansouri, M. (2018). An Influence-based Clustering Model on Twitter. arxiv.org. NJ: arXiv.
- Classi, C. C.; Nowicki, D.; Mansouri, M.; Sauser, B. J.; Randall, W. S. (2018). A Systems Thinking Approach to Managing Sustainment Phase Redesign Planning. Engineering Mangement Journal (1 ed., vol. 30, pp. 68-81). NJ.
Fundamentals of Enterprise Systems
Resilience Design and Engineering
Research on Urban Governance Studies
Introduction to Knowledge Engineering
Business Process Reengineering
Operations Management and Process Engineering
Modeling and Simulation