- PhD (2005) University of Maryland-College Park (Chemical Engineering)
Synthesis and characterization of polymeric nanohybrids; self-assembly of polymer-grafted nanoparticles; mechanical and structural relationships of ordered-disordered systems; developing new strategies for the self-assembly of nanoparticles; polymer-grafted nanoparticles in ionic liquids for energy applications; mechanically adaptive composite membranes for large shear and high temperature applications; multifunctional polymer composites for enhanced conductivity and reinforcement; protein-polymer functionalized surfaces for bioapplications.
- CEMS Undergraduate Ambassador Member
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Chair
- Nanotechnology Program Chair
- Institute Curriculum Committee (ICC) Member
- Academic Planning and Resources Committee (APAR) Member
- Stevens 150th Anniversary Academic Symposium Committee Member
- Journal of Polymer Science, Editorial Advisory Board Member Editorial Advisory Board Member
- APS Task Force / Poster Sessions Committee
- American Physical Society (APS) - Division of Polymer Physics (DPOLY) 2021 March Meeting Program Chair
Associate Prof. - Stevens Institute of Technology, Chemical Engineering & Materials Science (2016-)
Assistant Prof. - Stevens Institute of Technology, Chemical Engineering & Materials Science (Aug 2010-March 2016)
Assistant Prof. - U Missouri-Columbia, Chemical Engineering (Nov 2008- Aug 2010)
NSF CAREER Award, DMR-Polymers (2010 recipient)
Stevens Institute of Technology Research Recognition Award, October 2010
Research Board Award, University of Missouri (2009)
- APS – American Physical Society Member
- ACS – American Chemical Society Member
- AICHE – American Institute of Chemical Engineers Member
- NSSA – Neutron Scattering Society of the America Member
- MRS – Materials Research Society Member
NSF DMR-Polymers, "Directed Ionic Transport in Poly(Ionic Liquid)-Grafted Nanoparticles in Polarizable Media" (2021), PI. Amount: $424,000.
NSF REU/RET Site grant on “Interdisciplinary Research Experience in Sustainable Energy and Bioengineering” (2021), PI. Amount: $375,000.
NSF-CMMI, Supplemental Grant, Machine Learning for Polymer Nanocomposites using Force-Field Agnostic Molecular Dynamics Descriptors (2020), PI
NSF DMR-Polymers, Ionic Transport in Ion Containing Copolymer-Grafted Nanoparticle Structures (2018), PI
NSF-CMMI-MEP, Collaborative Research: Chemical and Dynamic Heterogeneities in Interfaces for Adaptive Polymer Nanocomposites (2018), PI
NSF-CMMI-MEP, Unusual Temperature Dependent Behavior of Polymer Nanocomposites (2015), PI
ACS PRF New Directions Grant, Flow-induced Organization of Bimodal-Sized Particles in Drying Polymer Droplets (2014), PI
NSF MRI: Acquisition of a High- Pressure Freezing System for Cryo-Electron Microscopy (2014), co-PI
NSF DMR-Polymers, CAREER: Multi-functional Particle Assemblies in Polymer Nanocomposites (2010)
Stevens-CHI Healthcare Scholars (2016), PI
Stevens Ignition Grant Initiative, Designing Reversibly Stiffening Multifunctional Polymer Hybrids (2017), PI
University of Missouri (MU) Research Board Grant (2009), PI
US2010/0303874 A1, Publication date: Dec. 2, 2010
- Liu, S.; Akcora, P.; Tyagi, M. (2020). Polymer-Coupled Local Dynamics Enhances Conductivity of Ionic Liquids. Macromolecules (15 ed., vol. 53, pp. 6538-6546).
- Liu, S.; Walton, M.; Tarakina, N. V.; Akcora, P. (2020). Solvation in Ionic Liquids with Polymer-Grafted Nanoparticles. Journal of Physical Chemistry B (23 ed., vol. 124, pp. 4843-4850). ACS.
- Zhang, C.; Padmanabhan, V.; Akcora, P. (2019). Solution Rheology of Poly(acrylic acid)-Grafted Silica Nanoparticles. Macromolecules (24 ed., vol. 52, pp. 9594-9603). ACS.
- Yang, S.; Akcora, P. (2019). Deformation of Chemically Heterogeneous Interfacial Layers of Polymer Nanocomposites. ACS Macro Letters (12 ed., vol. 8, pp. 1635-1641). ACS.
- Peng, W.; Ranganathan, R.; Keblinski, P.; Akcora, P.; Ozisik, R. (2019). Viscoelastic and Dynamic Properties of Polymer Grafted Nanocomposites with High Glass Transition Temperature Graft Chains. Journal of Applied Physics (19 ed., vol. 126, pp. Article number 195102). AIP Publishing.
- Liu, S.; Liedel, C.; Tarakina, N. V.; Osti, N. C.; Akcora, P. (2019). Dynamics of Ionic Liquids in the Presence of Polymer-Grafted Nanoparticles. Nanoscale (42 ed., vol. 11, pp. 19832-19841). Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Yang, S.; Hassan, M.; Akcora, P. (2019). Role of adsorbed chain rigidity in reinforcement of polymer nanocomposites. Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics (1 ed., vol. 57, pp. 9-14). Hoboken.
- Wu, D.; Ozisik, R.; Akcora, P.. Local Viscosity of Interfacial Layers in Polymer Nanocomposites Measured by Magnetic Heating . ACS Applied Polymer Materials (12 ed., vol. 2, pp. 5542-5549).
CHE 332 Separation Operations
CHE 560 Fundamentals of Polymer Science
NANO 525 Techniques of Surface and Nanostructure Characterization