- PhD (2012) University of Michigan (Mechanical Engineering)
- MS (2008) University of Michigan (Mechanical Engineering)
- BS (2007) University of Maryland (Mechanical Engineering)
Design for Market Systems;
Multidisciplinary Design Optimization;
Steven Hoffenson is an Assistant Professor in the School of Systems and Enterprises at the Stevens Institute of Technology. His research brings systems thinking into interdisciplinary approaches to design, with an emphasis on sustainability. This combines engineering models, decision theory models, economic models, optimization tools, and a systems framework to build an understanding of how different decisions with respect to product development and adoption will affect the economic, environmental, and social sustainability of the surrounding world.
Dr. Hoffenson earned his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at the University of Michigan, where his research focused on design optimization of vehicles for safety accounting for uncertainty, human factors, and market considerations. He followed this with a postdoctoral position in the Department of Product and Production Development (now part of Industrial & Materials Science) at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, where his research focused on interdisciplinary product design for quality and sustainability. From September 2014 through August 2015, Dr. Hoffenson served as a Congressional Science & Technology Policy Fellow sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Washington, D.C.
- Junior Faculty Board of Representatives Member
- I&E Summer Scholars Elevator Pitch judges Member
- SSE Doctoral Student Seminar Chair
- Employee Excellence Awards Selection Committee Chair
- First-Year Book Facilitation Member
- SSE Awards and Recognition Chair
- First Year Experience Committee Member
- ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences Session chair
- ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences Session coordinator
- ASME and Design Society Conference reviewer
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers Member
- AAAS – American Association for the Advancement of Science Member
- Design Society Member
- Chell, B.; Hoffenson, S.; Kruse, B.; Blackburn, M. (2020). Mission-Level Optimization: A New Approach to Complex Systems Design for Highly Stochastic Life Cycle Use Case Scenarios. Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences.
- Hoffenson, S.; Pitterson, N. P.; Driscoll, J. R. (2020). Understanding student conceptualizations of the market context in engineering design. Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference.
- Driscoll, J. R.; Hoffenson, S.; Pitterson, N. (2020). Short Papers: An initial analysis of undergraduate student mental models of product design. Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences.
- Chell, B.; Hoffenson, S.; Blackburn, M. (2019). Comparing Multifidelity Model Management Strategies for Multidisciplinary Design Optimization. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences.
- Zadbood, A.; Russo, N.; Hoffenson, S. (2019). Word-of-mouth recommendations in an automobile market system. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences.
- Fraize, J.; Ekman, F.; Fuerth, M.; Hoffenson, S.; Chell, B. (2019). Multi-objective Reliability-Based Design Optimization of an Autonomous Sailing Vessel. International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference.
- Desai, P.; Saremi, R.; Hoffenson, S.; Lipizzi, C. (2019). Agile and Affordable: A Survey of Supply Chain Management Methods in Long Lifecycle Products. Proceedings of the IEEE International Systems Conference.
- Chell, B.; Hoffenson, S.; Blackburn, M. (2019). A comparison of multidisciplinary design optimization architectures with an aircraft case study. AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum.
- Wade, J.; Hoffenson, S.; Gerardo, H. (2018). Systemic design engineering: curriculum and instructional results. Proceedings of the Complex Systems Design & Management (CSD&M) Conference. Paris.
- Hoffenson, S.; Wisniowski, M. (2018). An electricity grid as an agent-based market system: Exploring the effects of policy on sustainability. Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference (vol. 2A-2018).
- Hoffenson, S.; Brouse, P.; Gelosh, D.; Pafford, M.; Wade, J. (2018). Grand Challenges in Systems Engineering Education. Conference on Systems Engineering Research. Hoboken.
1 Castle Point on Hudson.
- Stewart, S.; Giambalvo, J.; Vance, J.; Faludi, J.; Hoffenson, S. (2020). A Product Development Approach Advisor for Navigating Common Design Methods, Processes, and Environments. Designs (1 ed., vol. 4).
- Stylidis, K.; Hoffenson, S.; Rossi, M.; Wickman, C.; Söderman, M.; Söderberg, R. (2020). Transforming brand core values into perceived quality: A Volvo case study. International Journal of Product Development (1 ed., vol. 24, pp. 43-67).
- Madrid, J.; Forslund, A.; Söderberg, R.; Wärmefjord, K.; Hoffenson, S.; Vallhagen, J.; Andersson, P. (2018). A Welding Capability Assessment Method (WCAM) to support multidisciplinary design of aircraft structures. International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing (3 ed., vol. 12, pp. 833-851).
- Blackburn, M.; Verma, D.; Dillon-Merrill, R.; Blake, R.; Bone, M.; Chell, B.; Dove, R.; Dzielski, J.; Grogan, P.; Hoffenson, S.; Hole, E.; Jones, R.; Kruse, B.; Pochiraju, K.; Snyder, C.; Cloutier, R.; Grosse, I.; Hagedorn, T. (2018). Transforming Systems Engineering through Model-Centric Engineering (SERC-2017-TR-111 ed.). SERC.
- Brundage, M. P.; Bernstein, W. Z.; Hoffenson, S.; Chang, Q.; Nishi, H.; Kliks, T.; Morris, K. C. (2018). Analyzing environmental sustainability methods for use earlier in the product lifecycle. Journal of Cleaner Production (vol. 187, pp. 877-892).
EM 322: Engineering Design VI
ISE 322: Engineering Design VI
SYS 564: Optimization Principles in Systems Design
SYS 625: Fundamentals of Systems Engineering
SYS 660: Decision & Risk Analysis
SYS 671: Conceptions of Cyber Physical Systems