- PhD (1993) Syracuse University (Environmental Engineering)
- MS (1985) Ocean University of China (Marine Chemistry)
- BS (1982) Ocean University of China (Marine Chemistry)
Physicochemical treatment and of arsenic and heavy metals in water and solids.
Interaction of heavy metals, uranium and inorganic compounds at metal hydroxide-water interface.
Fate and transport of arsenic and heavy metals in aquatic environment.
Development of a titanium-based adsorbent for treatment of arsenic and heavy metals from drinking water (U.S. patent). The adsorbent has been used successfully for the removal of arsenic and lead in water.
Development of water purification packets consisting of ferric iron and hypochlorite and a household filtration technique for removal of arsenic in drinking water and for disinfection. The technique was successfully demonstrated and implemented in Bangladesh in the early 2000s. The water purification packets have been used in many developing countries for preparation of clean drinking water.
Development of water treatment technologies for removal of heavy metals with iron (U.S. patent). Full-scale unit was installed for treatment of contaminated groundwater.
- Graduate committee Member
- SES P&T committee Member
- Graduate committee Member
- SES P&T committee Member
- ISPTS 2019 Conference at Stevens Conference chair
- Science of Total Environment Guest Editor
UNICEF consultant to develop and demonstrate water treatment techniques for preparation of safe drinking water in Bangladesh.
Member of Water Quality and Quantity Standing Committee for the Science Advisory Board of New Jersey.
Co-funder of HydroGlobe LLC
The Tech Museum Awards, Intel Environmental Award, 2001
Research Award, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2002
American Water Works Association, New Jersey Section, Research Award, 2004
Thomas Alva Edison Award for the most important patent contribution from a scientist in New Jersey, 2006
Inventor of the Year Award, the New Jersey Inventors Hall of Fame, 2009
- ACS – American Chemical Society Member
- AWWA – American Water Worker Association Member
Functionalized fibers for removal of contaminants in water and soil. Xiaoguang Meng, Jinshang Wei. US Patent Application: 0354884 A1(2020).
Process for preparation of granular material. Xiaoguang Meng. US Patent: 10,562,791 (2020).
Methods of preparing a surface-activated titanium oxide product and of using same in water treatment processes. Xiaoguang Meng, Mike Dadachov, George P. Korfiatis, and Christos Chritodoulatos, David J. Moll, Geofrey Paul Onifer, Daniel B. Rice, Robert E. Reim, Fredrick W. Vance, Harlan Robert Goltz, Chan Han, William I. Harris. US Patent: 7,497,952 (2009).
Method of Preparing a Surface-Activated Titanium Oxide Product and of Using the Same in Water Treatment Processes. Xiaoguang Meng, Mike Dadachov, George P. Korfiatis, and Christos Chritodoulatos. US Patent: 6,919,029 (2005).
Iron powder and sand filtration process for treatment of water contaminated with heavy metals and organic compounds. Xiaoguang Meng and George P. Korfiatis. US Patent: 6,942,807 (2005).
- Shi, Q.; Meng, X.; Korfiatis, G. P. (2020). EVALUATION OF TECHNIQUES FOR LEAD REMOVAL FROM DRINKING WATER: RECENT ADVANCES. no. Proceedings of the International Conference on Protection and Restoration of the Environment XV. University of Patras: PRE XV.
- Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X.; Shi, Q. (2018). THE USE OF NANOCRYSTALLINE TITANIUM DIOXIDE IN REMOVING HEAVY METALS FROM WATER: A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE OF SCIENTIFIC ADVANCEMENTS (vol. 1, pp. 1129-1135). Proc. Protection and Restoration of the Environment XIV.
- Meng, X. (2020). Boosted photocatalytic degradation of Rhodamine B pollutants with Z-scheme CdS/AgBr-rGO nanocomposite. Appl. Surf. Sci (vol. 502, pp. 1444275).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Chou, T.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Mechanistic Study of Pb(II) Removal by TiO2 and Effect of PO4. Langmuir (Volume 36.Issue 46 ed., pp. 13918-13927).
- Wei, J.; Meng, X.; Song, Y.; Shi, Q.; Wen, X.; Korfiatis, G. (2020). Surface mole-ratio method to distinguish surface precipitation and adsorption on solid-liquid interface. Journal of Hazardous Materials (vol. 397).
- Wang, X.; Li, L.; Yan, X.; Meng, X.; Chen, Y. (2020). Processes of chromium (VI) migration and transformation in chromate production site: A case study from the middle of China. Chemosphere (vol. 257).
- Meng, X. (2020). Adsorption of perfluorooctane sulfonate on carbonized poly-melamine-formaldehyde sponge. Sci. Total Environ. (vol. 727, pp. 138626).
- Shi, Q.; Zhang, S.; Ge, J.; Wei, J.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Lead immobilization by phosphate in the presence of iron oxides: Adsorption versus precipitation. Water research (vol. 179, pp. 115853).
- Meng, X. (2020). Challenges of arsenic removal from municipal wastewater by coagulation with ferric chloride and alum. Sci. Total Environ (vol. 725, pp. 138351).
- Shi, Q.; Zhang, S.; Korfiatis, G.; Christodoulatos, C.; Meng, X. (2020). Identifying the existence and molecular structure of the dissolved HCO3-Ca-As(V) complex in water. Science of the Total Environment (vol. 724).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Korfiatis, G.; Christodoulatos, C.; Wang, H.; Meng, X. (2020). Chromate removal by electrospun PVA/PEI nanofibers: Adsorption, reduction, and effects of co-existing ions. Chemical Engineering Journal (vol. 387).
- Shi, Q.; Sterbinsky, G. E.; Zhang, S.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2020). Formation of Fe(iii)-As(v) complexes: effect on the solubility of ferric hydroxide precipitates and molecular structural identification. Environmental Science: Nano (5 ed., vol. 7, pp. 1388-1398).
- Ge, J.; Guha, B.; Lippincott, L.; Cach, S.; Wei, J.; Su, T.; Meng, X. (2020). Challenges of arsenic removal from municipal wastewater by coagulation with ferric chloride and alum. Science of The Total Environment (vol. 725, pp. 138351). Elsevier BV.
- Meng, X. (2020). The critical role of oxidative debris in the adsorption and desorption of Pb(II) to graphene oxides under alkaline groundwater conditions. Sci. Total Environ. (vol. 704, pp. 135254).
- Ye, L.; Meng, X.; Jing, C. (2020). Influence of sulfur on the mobility of arsenic and antimony during oxic-anoxic cycles: Differences and competition. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta (vol. 288, pp. 51-67).
- Shi, Q.; Meng, X.; Prigiobbe, V. (2020). Mechanistic Study of Radium Adsorption onto Goethite. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C (1 ed., vol. 124, pp. 805-814). American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Meng, X. (2020). Adsorption and recovery of phosphate from water by amine fiber, effects of co-existing ions and column filtration. J. Environ. Sci (vol. 87, pp. 123).
- Meng, X. (2019). Phosphorus recovery from wastewater using light calcined magnesite, effects of alkalinity and organic acids. J. Environ. Chem. Eng (vol. 7, pp. 103334).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Christodoulatos, C.; Meng, X. (2019). Lead and cadmium adsorption by electrospun PVA/PAA nanofibers: Batch, spectroscopic, and modeling study. Chemosphere (vol. 233, pp. 405-413).
- Meng, X. (2019). Release transport of Pb(II) adsorbed on graphene oxide under alkaline conditions in a saturated sand column. J. Hazard. Mater (vol. 377, pp. 357).
- Zhang, S.; Shi, Q.; Christodoulatos, C.; Korfiatis, G.; Meng, X. (2019). Adsorptive filtration of lead by electrospun PVA/PAA nanofiber membranes in a fixed-bed column. Chemical Engineering Journal (vol. 370, pp. 1262-1273). Elsevier.
- Shi, Q.; Terracciano, A.; Zhao, Y.; Wei, C.; Christodoulatos, C.; Meng, X. (2019). Evaluation of metal oxides and activated carbon for lead removal: Kinetics, isotherms, column tests, and the role of co-existing ions. Science of the Total Environment (vol. 648, pp. 176-183).
- Terracciano, A.; Christodoulatos, C.; Koutsospyros, A.; Zheng, Z.; Su, T.; Smolinski, B.; Arienti, P.; Meng, X. (2018). Degradation of 3-nitro-1, 2, 4-trizole-5-one (NTO) in wastewater with UV/H2O2 oxidation. Chemical Engineering Journal (vol. 354, pp. 481--491). Elsevier.
- Terracciano, A.; Christodoulatos, C.; Koutsospyros, A.; Zheng, Z.; Su, T. L.; Smolinski, B.; Arienti, P.; Meng, X. (2018). Degradation of 3-nitro-1,2,4-trizole-5-one (NTO) in wastewater with UV/H2O2 oxidation. Chemical Engineering Journal (pp. 481-491).
- Shi, Q.; Sterbinsky, G. E.; Prigiobbe, V.; Meng, X. (2018). Mechanistic Study of Lead Adsorption on Activated Carbon. Langmuir (45 ed., vol. 34, pp. 13565-13573).
- Hao, J.; Han, M. J.; Han, S.; Meng, X.; Su, T.; Wang, Q. K. (2015). SERS detection of arsenic in water: A review.. Journal of environmental sciences (China) (vol. 36, pp. 152-62).
EN 379 Environmental Systems Laboratory
EN 423/424 – Environmental Engineering Design VII/VIII
EN551 Environmental Chemistry of Soils and Natural Surfaces